Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I had another nightmare about the PCMO who first responded to me, and essentially validated what the rapist did, by saying, "Maybe he didn't mean it." I hate having nightmares about her. They remind me of how much she hurt me by saying what she said.

I am trying to get some documents together for my court case against the rapist in the Peace Corps country I served in. The in-country lawyer the Peace Corps hired for me is hard for me to get a hold of, and doesn't answer email. In short, he is not helping, and I have to get these documents together, and then give them to my lawyer. It's a nightmare.

The lawyer tells me that in the Peace Corps country I served in, "the State prosecution," or the equivalent of it in that country, does not think there is enough evidence to prosecute the rapist in my case. THINK about how completely crazy that is.... It's like saying,

Oh, I don't believe the rape victim who reported a crime (statistics are such that it is highly probable that rape victims are not falsely accusing attackers).... Instead, I believe the rapist, and I will just decide not to prosecute....

It makes me so so so mad, that first of all, that happens in this particular Peace Corps country, second of all, the Peace Corps apparently used to do a better job of prosecuting attackers of PCV victims when that was the charge of the Office of the Inspector General in the Peace Corps, and finally, the lawyer the Peace Corps hired for me is not doing his job, which is to communicate regularly with me and to help me get my documents together. See this article from the Washington Post.

There is a whole lot more to it, of course, but I try to write enough to give an idea of the depth of which the Peace Corps screwed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment